AFP: Marawi crisis over in one week

ZAMBOANGA CITY  , Philippines  —   It will take only one more week for Army soldiers to finish the Marawi crisis as Marine troopers have cleared and defeated the Maute terrorists in their area of operation, a security official said yesterday.

Rear Adm. Rene Medina, chief of the Naval Forces Western Mindanao, said his men have completed their mission and started to pull out from their designated area of battle.

The Marines were responsible for retaking three bridges that connect the eastern and western parts of the city.

In the almost four months of fighting, several Marine soldiers were killed, particularly during the retaking of the Mapandi bridge.

Marine troopers are now helping the Army defeat dozens of Maute terrorists still holed up in mosques and buildings located within the nine-hectare battle zone, Medina said.

He said the Marines lent their equipment such as B300 tanks and 90RR or recoilless rockets to the Army.

Nation ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1

The Army’s operation area, Medina said, remained tough due to the presence of more than 20 civilian hostages, whom the terrorists used as shields. He said government troops were fighting 30 to 40 terrorists.

Medina said they are verifying reports that most of the Maute leaders including Isnilon Hapilon had been killed.

The Marine Battalion Landing Team (MBLT) 10 will be pulled out from Marawi to undergo re-training in preparation for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations Summit next month.

The MBLT 5 and MBLT 7 will remain to help the Army finish off the terrorists.

P15 B in standby fund

Meanwhile, Senate President Pro Tempore Ralph Recto is proposing to provide Malacañang P15 billion in standby fund for the reconstruction of Marawi.

The amount is on top of the P10 billion that is included in the proposed 2018 national budget for the rehabilitation of the war-torn city.

The P15 billion, Recto said, could be included in the unprogrammed appropriations portion of the proposed P3.76-trillion national budget.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana earlier said that at least P50 billion would be needed to rebuild the city.

http://www.philstar.com/nation/2017/10/09/1746802/afp-marawi-crisis-over-one-week

#SupportOurTroops
#YourAFPCares

AFP: Marawi crisis over in October

ARMED Forces of the Philippines chief Gen. Eduardo Año said Sunday he is confident that government forces will be able to end the Marawi crisis this month.

“We will finish it because it is the time to finish it, and that is calculated based on our projection of being able to rescue the remaining hostages, neutralizing the last terrorist and minimizing casualties of our troops and civilians,” Año said in an interview with GMA News on Sunday.

Image may contain: one or more people and text

‘NPAs may drive away investors’

CAGAYAN Gov. Manuel Mamba expressed concern over the “unfriendly” activities of the communist New People’s Army (NPA) recently which may shoo away investors helping to boost the province’s economy.

Advertisements
Mamba’s apprehension stemmed from the burning of heavy equipment of Manila-based multinational DDT Konstract in Barangay Dungeg, Santa Teresita town last Saturday.

“It is saddening that these rebels are causing violence which may bring fear among patriotic investors who wanted so much to help uplift the standard of living among Cagayanos,” he said.

Mamba said DDT Konstract, owned by Danilo Tamayo, has invested billions of pesos in projects relating to food security, particularly in fisheries, and employing more than 300 residents from Santa Teresita, Buguey and Gonzaga towns.

#SupportOurTroops

Image may contain: 1 person, text

 

AFP and PNP strengthen ties in face of threat groups

The police and the military agreed on Monday to further strengthen their collaborative efforts in the investigation and prosecution of leaders of threat groups, as the country grapples with the problem of terrorism.

Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Ronald M. dela Rosa and Armed Forces Chief of Staff Gen. Eduardo M. Año signed the resolution creating the Inter-Agency Committee on Legal Action (Iacla) during the 20th Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP)-PNP National Joint Peace and Security Council (JPSC) Meeting at Camp Crame.

https://businessmirror.com.ph/afp-and-pnp-strengthen-ties-in-face-of-threat-groups/

#SupportOurTroops
#YourAFPCares

Image may contain: one or more people

4 NPA rebels surrender in Sultan Kudarat

FOUR New People’s Army (NPA) rebels have surrendered to the military, authorities reported on Sunday, October 8. The Western Mindanao Command (Wesmincom) identified them as Beboy Flang Mek, Arjohn Dang Blagan, Osing Samandal Kuyan, and Robert Panday Balabagan, all members of the Myphone Platoon, Guerrilla Front (GF) 73. They also turned over two M-16 Armalite and Ak-47 rifles when they surrendered last Friday, October 5, to the troops in the village of Titulok, Bagumbayan, Sultan Kudarat. The GF 73 led by a certain Ka Mommy, Ka Decay or Ka Wada operates mainly in the joint area of operations of the Eastern Mindanao Command, particularly in the towns of Banga, Surallah, Norala, Tantangan, T’boli, Sto. Nino, and Lake Sebu, all in South Cotabato, and in Maitum, Kiamba, Maasim, all in Sarangani province.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/zamboanga/local-news/2017/10/08/4-npa-rebels-surrender-sultan-kudarat-568404

#SupporOurTroops

Image may contain: 3 people, text

Duterte: No more talks with communist group

PRESIDENT Duterte yesterday said he no longer wants to talk peace with the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army-National Democratic Front of the Philippines (CPP-NPA-NDFP).

He said the communist group may have to wait for another president for peace negotiations.

“At this stage, I am not ready to talk to them (CPP-NPA-NDFP) because it is not good for the country… the way that it is now, ayaw ko (I don’t like) and maybe it would take some time to, maybe another president, to do it,” Duterte said at the Army’s change of command ceremony in Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City.

http://www.malaya.com.ph/business-news/news/duterte-no-more-talks-communist-group?qt-quicktabs_latest=1

#SupportOurTroops
#YourAFPCares

Image may contain: 1 person, text

17 Maute group hostages rescued in Marawi —Lorenzana

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana on Wednesday said 17 civilians held captive by the Maute group in Marawi City have been rescued by government troops.

Lorenzana said the rescued hostages include nine males and eight females, with ages ranging from 18 to 75.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/nation/628236/17-maute-group-hostages-rescued-in-marawi-lorenzana/story/

 Image may contain: 1 person, text

Rody visits Marawi for 6th time

By Alexis Romero

MANILA, Philippines — President Duterte yesterday visited Marawi City for the sixth time to witness the unveiling of shelters for the residents displaced by the clashes between government forces and terrorists.

The construction of shelters was part of the “Bahay Pag-asa” project initiated by the Tarlac Heritage Foundation, one of the private groups helping the government rebuild the battle-ravaged city.

Recipients of the shelter would be part of a “green community,” which has solar panels to enable occupants to use appliances and equipment like electric fans, radios and mobile phones.

“We have to finish it otherwise the next generation would inherit this (problem),” Duterte said.

After the event, Duterte visited the troops fighting the Maute terrorists and distributed goods like sunglasses and watches.

More than 900 people have died since the Marawi siege started when the Maute group attacked the city last May 23.

Malacañang also welcomed the holding of a mass at Saint Mary’s Cathedral last Sunday, the first since the crisis erupted.

The cathedral is one of the areas occupied by the Maute terrorists.

“Saint Mary’s Cathedral had been damaged during the siege of the city; and the terrorist group posted propaganda video of their desecration of the cathedral’s religious images,” presidential spokesman Ernesto Abella said.

#SupportOurTroops

http://www.philstar.com:8080/headlines/2017/10/03/1745067/rody-visits-marawi-6th-time

The 4th National Youth Leadership Summit

Your Armed Forces of the Philippines through 7th Civil Relations Group, Civil Relations Service, Armed Forces of the Philippines and other peace partner agencies will conduct the 4th National Youth Leadership Summit (NYLS) on October 23-28, 2017 at Bahay Bakasyunan Resort and Conference Center, Tanay Rizal. This year’s NYLS theme is “Youth Leaders, Working towards Greater Change”. Through this summit, we can further solidify the youth’s support and commitment to nation building and development of our country.

This annual summit is a gathering of youth leaders where your AFP and other agencies can interact with the youth to know what has happened all throughout the year. Aside from the lectures, workshops and team-building activities given to them, it is always a venue to extract good ideas and leadership strategies. This year’s vision is to further develop management capabilities and organizational sustainment of these empowered youth leaders of our nation who are one of the key players and benefactors of development and nation building.

The YLS is conducted through various levels, from national down to, regional, provincial, municipal, and even the barangay level. Today, the conduct of YLS marks its 14th year, through the help of your AFP, the YLS family continues to grow every year. The AFP wants every youth to be a part of the YLS family/graduates for it teaches not only leadership, but it also teaches peace, positivity, and how to be a good and effective citizen. So, to all youth for peace and development, See you soon!